Monday 27 July 2015

During all the excitement..

I forgot all about my new little toy.

For my 40th, I decided, in a midlife crisis type of way, I needed a new commuting tool. After checking out some of the online reviews on small bikes, and knowing that the old '93 Ducati Monster does not like commuting that much, I had managed to narrow the choice of motorcycles to four.

They were all Kawasaki's. The Z250 and Ninja 250SL, or the Z300 or Ninja 300. After one trip to P&H Motorcycles, my mind was made up. I did actually like the look of the Ninja 250SL. Luckily for me, P&H only had a white Ninja in stock, and being a fussy person, Kawasaki's only come in green (in my head!).

After a couple of weeks of pondering, I decided on a road trip to On Yer Bike, near Aylesbury. After thirty minutes, I had signed the paperwork to buy a brand new, Ninja 250SL, in lime green of course!.

A week later, and I was back at On Yer Bike, this time with the work van. I just had to sign my life away a couple of times, pay for the extras I had ordered and buy a couple of t-shirts from the clothing shop. Job done.


The little bike is ready and waiting for me.

Time to get the ramp out of the van, set out the straps and get the little bike loaded. This was going to be one of my longest and carefullest drives home ever! There was a very precious cargo loaded on board. After bouncing along the country roads, back to the M40, I decided it would be a good idea to have a break at Beaconsfield Services. It was a good job I did! Two of the straps had worked loose! A thorough check and re-tighten of the straps and it was back on the road again.


You better not move anymore!


Secured again!

Finally, I got home with my new toy. It felt like I was driving forever. Well, ok, more like 40 minutes, but it was a tough drive home. The little Ninja was offloaded, the van parked up for the rest of the day. It was time to dig out my leathers. The first ride was interesting. As this was a brand new bike, it needed running in. 6000rpm was the limit for the first 600 miles. I was on a half powered sewing machine! Well, compared to the 904cc Ducati Monster, it felt like it. The new little Ninja coped with 60mph on the dual carriageways, happily bounced along the country lanes, and even run some good MPG's!

Now, I've had the Ninja for two months. The first service has been done, the bike is all broken in. I've fitted a tail tidy (it was required!), the additional extras arrived from Kawasaki, a pillion seat cover, swinging arm bobbins and tinted screen, have finally been fitted. 


It's all in the size


The updated MiLF. Yes, that is her name now.


The good points; Well, it's cheaper to do the commute to work, from Walton on Thames to Hayes, Middlesex. So far, the fuel saving is about £80. It's quicker to get to work. The car travelling time would vary between 45 minutes up to 2 hours! The little green bike can handle the run in about 35 minutes (on a bad day!). It's bright green, that is a good point!

The bad points; Well, it's a motorbike, so it's rubbish in the rain. If it is slightly windy out on the roads, the poor bike does suffer from a lot of buffeting! I never had that issue on the Monster. It sounds like a sewing machine, but an Akropovic exhaust will cure that.

Other than that, she is a fun little bike, and the third Kawasaki I have owned. I hope she lasts longer in my possession than previous two!


Take three Kawasaki's, add one Loon...




No comments: