Wednesday 27 May 2015

Who's stupid idea was this running malarkey??

Being on the cusp of a milestone today. I was preparing a blog about something completely different. I probably will post the blog that is still in my head, but after tomorrow. Today's one can be a nice, simple blog about how stupid I've been since the start of 2015!

I'll begin at the beginning. January 2015, a short bloke (me), sitting on his sofa, enjoying lots of fatty, completely bad for you food, working nearly 60 hours a week, overweight (5ft 6 and weighing a rather portly 82kgs), has that little light switch go in his head!

24th January, that's it, I've gone on my travels to Woking, and pop into Sweatshop with the intention of not spending too much money on a pair of suitable running shoes. Yes, I was a non runner, with no idea about gaits, inner soles, or even the socks! One pair of trainers covers everything, doesn't it?? After having my gait analysed, getting a set of molded insoles, and a pair of Mizuno trainers, I was off on my way home, and nearly £100 less in my bank account (oops). And that is where the madness started...

Why did I chose running?

Ok, it's a long story, but I keep it short.

I thought about taking up cycling again, and decided against that. Only due to costs involved. I would need a new bike, helmet, cycling gear, inner tubes, puncture kits (the list can go on), so I put myself off that idea. Oh, and the fact everyone on the road hates cyclists!

I didn't fancy swimming, I hated swimming at school. I'm not a great swimmer, and the one thing about swimming is you require a pool. Now, living in a flat, eight floors up, I'm not likely to have my own pool, so more money spent joining the local gym or leisure centre, and heading down there every time I fancied a swim. Plus, I hate turning all pruney!

So, I was left with running. Ok, I thought it would be cheap (I did at the beginning). A pair of trainers, stick some music on, the roads or paths never close. Go running when you want. Job done. And really, that's how running has got my choice! Go running when you want. Go as far as you want. Hopefully I won't drown. Just get out of the front door and go!

So, back to 24th January. I got home, happy with my purchases. I went off for a family meal, came home and after a couple of hours, I just decided, "sod it, I can't wait until the morning", put my (vastly lacking at the time) running gear on and headed off. I had downloaded the NHS c25k podcasts on to my iPhone, after being recommended by a friend to try it out. Off I went into the dark evening. 26 minutes later, nearly 3k done, one pothole fallen down, I was broken! My first c25k training session done! Only nine more weeks to go,,,,

Somehow, I kept at it. Even with my family and friends telling me I wouldn't stick at it. "Oh, it's just a fad, you'll give up in a few weeks!" I think that has just made me more determined to keep going. Even when I had to rest up for a week, after injuring my ankle and knee at a park near work, I've still kept going.

Now, I was set a challenge whilst doing the c25k by a running friend. "Come and do a parkrun!" A date was set, 21st March, the venue, Horsham. So, I need to prove to;

1: the voice in my head I could actually run 5k
2: my friends that I could run 5k
3: I need a big fry up!

And that was the start of the slippery slope. I run the whole Horsham course, in 30 minutes and 52 seconds! Success!! I did it! My name was now registered as a 'parkrunner' on the results page.



Bedfont Lakes parkrun, it actually looks like I know what I'm doing!

Now I'm ten weeks into the parkrun Saturday events. I'm enjoying it! Yes, work at times gets in the way of running during the week, but I've always got an hour spare on a Saturday morning for a 5k run. And now I'm registered for two 10k races, the Elmbridge 10k in July and the Bupa London 10000 May 2016! That's like proper running with numbers and crowds cheering you on!

For something I hated at school, to get 39 years of age and start loving long distance running is quite surreal for me.

As for the expense, well, I have learnt that you can never have enough running kit!

Two pairs of Mizuno trainers (a new pair of Adidas trainers ordered today!).
Countless pairs of socks and base layer shorts
Running tights
normal shorts
base layer shirts
t-shirts
jackets
towels
kit bags
Garmin Forerunner watch

And not forgetting the amount of running apps and website accounts I have now!

Oh, and after the 5 months of running, I'm still 5ft 6 and weighing 71kgs. Yes, my diet has change a bit, but I still enjoy a good fish and chips!

I would like to say thank you to my friends who have supported me, the organisers of the parkrun events, my mum for saying I wouldn't stick at the running malarkey, and that's about it.


No comments: